1. To get involved, you'll need to Sign Up first, but that's quick, easy and free.
    Dismiss Notice

Cycad Course

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Paul

Paul Active Member

HI guys, I am looking to do a course on Cycads and would like to know who you think is the most knowledgeable and runs the most extensive cycad course. I am in Cape Town but am willing to travel.

2. Warren

Warren Well-Known Member

Adolf @ Cycad World of Innovation has a few courses throughout the year, give him a ring to hear when the next one is.

3. Paul

Paul Active Member

Thx Warren, I had seen the course but was hoping to get one closer to home. Will contact him as it seems an extensive course.

4. Tommy

Tommy Well-Known Member

Paul

Dont want it to rain on anyone's parade, a cycad course is most definitley a good way to gain knowledge about these wonderful plants, it is however a lot of info in a short period of time. Most of it goes over one's head as it is too much to digest.

It is a hands on learning experience with these plants, the forum is a good start, lots of people here have lots of knowledge and are willing to share.

Try meet up with other enthusiasts, go look at their plants, visit nurseries, walk through the plants and try identify them. When other folk post on the forum asking for help with id, try to id just for yourself. It is going to be a long walk learning to id plants, even the seasoned collectors get it wrong at times. There is no quick fix to id these plants.

There are a few good books around that have very good photographs in them, the more you expose yourself to the plants, the more you will learn.

If you are willing to crawl before you can id walk, it is going to be long and enjoyable walk.

Keep walking.

5. Paul

Paul Active Member

Thanks Tommy, I am sure that it will be a frustrating and never ending walk but you are right it will be a learning curve that takes time. It will be a fascinating one and am appreciative of the help and guidance I have received in the forums.

As they say a picture paints a thousand words so I will be collecting as much reading materials as possible. I do believe that the first step is to identify the plants I have, and to that end I will find a guru in my parts of the world to visit and help with the identification.