1. To get involved, you'll need to Sign Up first, but that's quick, easy and free.
    Dismiss Notice

Developing leaves

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ratel, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Ratel

Ratel Well-Known Member

hey guys

A topic im wondering about for a while now, does anyone have some info or articles they can share about how long before you can see a new flush/cone is it developing in the crown of the plant??

I am just not convinced on the belief that ,for example, you burn treat a leavi or lanatus and one week later it is flushing 20 new leaves. And claim that it is because of the burn treatment.

Thanx

2. Craig

Craig Member

Good question, and I have no idea of the answer.

I've heard talk of stress flushes before and what might actually be happening, is that the leaves had already started pushing before a sucker was removed or plant replanted.

I've also seen big suckers and plants get moved, flush soon after and look ok, but this depends on the size of the plant.

The burn treatment is an interesting one. I have no doubt it works, but I guess it'll be 3 weeks to a month before I'm comfortable that it was the cause of a flush.

Cones, I'm not sure.

Who wants to dissect a few cycads the later winter months?

In the name of science, I'll put aside 10 altensteinii seedlings to test this. We'll have to check in about 5 or 10 years time when there is something to cut open though. :blush:

3. Charles Fevrier

Charles Fevrier Well-Known Member

If one look at nature the answer is clear. A veld fire stimulates new growth provided the plant has not been destroyed.

It is not uncommon to see new growth within a week however I doubt if this is the case with cycads as they are notoriously slow or slower growers. From the time that we notice a new flush until the time it actually hardens off may take a couple of weeks. I think it is then safe to assume it will also take a couple of weeks for the flush or cone to develop inside the caudex.

I agree with Craig that 3 weeks or longer might be the result of the fire however a flush within a week or two is quite unlikely and may be coincidence.

4. Ratel

Ratel Well-Known Member

A good point you are making Charles, never thought about it like that.