1. To get involved, you'll need to Sign Up first, but that's quick, easy and free.
    Dismiss Notice

How does private selling of cycads work?

Discussion in 'Getting Started on Cycad Talk' started by Johann, May 8, 2017.

  1. Johann

    Johann New Member

    May 8, 2017
    Likes Received:
    Good day.
    I am very new at this new and wonderful hobby. I bought a seedling a month ago as an investment for my childs education..
    How does it work if I want to sell my cycads in the future? I only have x1 cycad currently.
    Do you give a letter to whoever wants to buy it?

    I really do not want to get into trouble so if anyone can help with advice regarding this I would appreciate it.

  2. Tommy

    Tommy Well-Known Member

    Jun 13, 2016
    Likes Received:

    All cycads that are found in RSA, ( encephalartos/stangeria) require paperwork/permits from Our conservation authorities.

    It varies from province to province, which makes it confusing. The safest way is to contact your local conservation office and find out what are the requirements, and also always insist on some kind of paperwork when buying a plant/s, at least you will then have a paper trail should a situation arise?

    If a seller cannot supply you with some kind of paperwork( permit/ copy of his sellers permit/ copy of his possession permit) walk away.

    Trust this helps. Let's hope that some of the other forum members will shed some light on this topic
  3. Charles Fevrier

    Charles Fevrier Well-Known Member

    Jul 18, 2016
    Likes Received:
    It depends on your province as Tommy said. I live in the Western Cape and have bought from private sellers in the past.

    The bottom line is that the plant must have a permit. Private sellers must have a valid "Possession Permit". The seller then applies for a permit to sell the plant, or plants. The buyer needs to apply for a transport permit (in the case of adult plants) and a "Possession Permit".

    It should be noted that plants being sold to a person living in another province will require an export permit as well as an import permit to the new province.

Share This Page