1. To get involved, you'll need to Sign Up first, but that's quick, easy and free.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Paul

Paul Active Member

Hi, thank you for the opportunity of joining the forum. I have just purchased a property which has twenty or so cycads on it. I am an absolute novice when it comes to cycads and have even considered myself a non-gardener. The cycad bug has started to inch its way into my life and am now considering a small cycad farm. I am at the stage that I am still confused by the number of different cycads out there and the small differences that makes them unique. I cannot wait to get back into the garden to replant the offshoots and attempt to harvest the pollen and seeds available. You tube has been my best tutor so far but is limited in the subject so I'm sure I will be back here to air my frustrations as well as my growth. Thank you all once again.

2. Charles Fevrier

Charles Fevrier Well-Known Member

Welcome Paul

Be warned cycads can be very addictive. Where are you from?

3. Tommy

Tommy Well-Known Member

Paul, welcome.

Post some pic's of your plants, everyone loves a cycad pic, and it also gives the other folk ( guru's) something to work from to give advice and comments .

4. Craig

Craig Member

Welcome Paul. Be warned, this hobby is highly addictive. I'm willing to bet you'll own more than double what you currently have this time next year.

I'm sure you know, but cycads are very slow growing and not very predictable, which is also what makes them so intriguing. Bear this in mind when buying plants if you plan to propagate to any extent. If you're planning on propagating, don't buy any plants until you have done a fair amount of research.

5. Paul

Paul Active Member

Thanks guys, I am in Cape Town but the place is on the Breede River. I am told that one cycad is about 35 years old. I have never been as clueless about a subject yet drawn to it in my life, the learning experience so far has been great but as you all know the more you learn the more you know you more you need to learn. I am posting pics and think I know the plant but will appreciate the input tremendously. There are about six different leaves on the cycads on the property so I assume there are various species. I am planning to propagate as there is so much space there and I have sheds already waiting usage. I will keep you updatedas I am going up again this weekend and will select leaves and take more detailed pics of each cycad. Cheers IMG_9402.JPG IMG_9413.JPG IMG_9429.JPG IMG_9400.JPG IMG_9432.JPG

6. Paul

Paul Active Member

Oops sorry guys pics too large.....

7. Charles Fevrier

Charles Fevrier Well-Known Member

You do have different plants. It looks like Natalensis, Transvenousis, Lehmani, Ferox and the last one I am not sure.