1. To get involved, you'll need to Sign Up first, but that's quick, easy and free.
    Dismiss Notice

pollen....a commodity?

Discussion in 'Cycad Pollen Bank' started by millies, Jun 19, 2016.

1. millies

millies Well-Known Member

Maybe treading here where angels fear to go, but have allways wandered....
    The question of pollen? Why has there never been a system,measurement of pollen's worth, like there is for seedlings and adult plants, ie r/cm?
    The pollen season is upon us, lots of people looking for pollen, to complete the cycle of cycads, pollination! Many of us do not have female plants, but male, so to be able tob"swop" pollen for seed is then part of our investment!!
    I am not talking about an arrangement where one party gives another pollen as a gift, I am talking about the gentlemans agreement of 50/50 on the seed. How many of us have not done this deal, only to end up with nothing in return? Was too late to pollinate, my Jack Russel ate the cone, and and and....
    If one takes a teaspoon as a yardstick; a teaspoon full of pollen should be enough to pollenate a cone, if you then take the amount of seed from such a cone, half those seeds(pollen donars share) should be the worth of that teaspoon of pollen????
    Example: villosus will yield 100 seed, 50%, 50 seed each so the pollen donar gets 50 seeds;villosus seeds cost R2 each, so one teaspoon villosus pollen should be worth R100?
    So next time someone is looking for Villosus pollen on a seed sharing basis, he should expect to pay R100 for a teaspoon full; he is good and the donar is good. Everyone then has what they need, no worries, or dissapointment s later.
    This system or way could be used to calculate pollen on all our different species.
    Just food for thought; your thoughts?

2. Paul Webb

Paul Webb Well-Known Member

Apprentice spanner boy
    I do not believe the pollen supplier should get 50%. Otherwise male and Female plants should be worth the same per cm? When i supply pollen to someone i only ask for 30% If i dont get seed back i wont help the person again. I have always paid a premium for Female plants so why must the chap who has paid 20 to 50% less for the same species If not more get an equal share?
    Just my opinion

3. Putting a price to pollen will only create more hybrids. Everyone will suddenly have any pollen just to make a few rands. At least if the person were to get some seeds back, there is more of a likelihood of getting the correct pollen. Just my 2 cents opinion.

4. Tommy

Tommy Well-Known Member

The other day i saw on another social platform that someone was looking for a certain type of pollen, i called up a bud of mine ( knowing that he had fresh and frozen pollen of the type requested ) and told him that someone was looking for pollen ??

He told me that he was not interested to help, said that he had been" burned" too many times !!! This friend has a sizable collection and has access to loads of pollin, pity he feels the way he does??

How many pollination opportunities go begging, yet pollin is available out there ??

How do we go about changing these situations/peoples minds ?? Lets try put our collective heads together to try find a way around this !!

5. Craig

Craig Member

It would be good if we could find a solution to this. I'd be up for helping with pollen if I had something someone was after.

As a community, we should try help each other, but that's going to involve trust and earning it.

6. millies

millies Well-Known Member

Tommy I know exactly how your buddy feels about this whole pollen for seed concept. Bear in mind I send pollen the last 2 years alone to 43 guys, I only recieved about 50 seeds back, of 43 cones there was only one winner, so it feels to my commodity is useless helping out, its better for me keeping them in the fridge stored away.
    Succulentsofthesouth, by giving out pollen left and right is just a recipe for disaster, if you pay for your pollen, then you will make sure it comes from a trusted source, and then you will use it wisely.
    Many times guys phoned and asked for pollen, when I ask for pictures it was totally something else, thats cross polonation!
    Vriendelike Bosveld Groete
    Willie

7. Perhaps a list of trustworthy people should be created then people know who to contact?

I can personally say that Rob Kunitz from Nelspruit provides fresh male cones and pollen where he can, he is very honest. I haven't tried anyone else.

8. Morne Carstens

Morne Carstens Active Member

As stated above by millies there is 99 percent of the time some issue with no seeds being produced...i dont believe making a trusted source list would help either. I guess best is too keep it personal with trusted friends etc...

Sad reality is too many people have been robbed i have even heard of male cones being stolen seed cooked before returning a lot of the time guys are so desperate for the seeds and making cash cones get removed prematurely... I have had it with an inopinus cone from someone....so end up n waste both sides