1. To get involved, you'll need to Sign Up first, but that's quick, easy and free.
    Dismiss Notice

seeds

Discussion in 'Getting Started on Cycad Talk' started by Rhona Brooks, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Rhona Brooks

Rhona Brooks New Member

How is the easiest way to germinate cycad seeds

2. Tommy

Tommy Well-Known Member

Rhonda

What seed do you have? How old are your seed ?

Lots of folks build/buy an incubation box. It is a box that has some kind of a heating ability, a medium ( vermiculite/perlite ) is placed inside, on which one places the seed. You regulate the amount of water given .

Some people place moist vermiculite into ziplock bags, place the seed into the bags, leave them in a sunny spot and wait for the seed to germinate.

It is very important to know if the seed you have has been pollinated, how far seed are to start germination. If you start putting moisture on the seed long before they are ready to start germinating, they will start to rot/go bad before they germinate.

The only way to check how far the seeds are from pushing roots, is to cut some open and check for embryos. It sounds harsh, but less harsh that rotting all your seeds by starting the germination process too early.

Let's also wait and get some of the other forum users opinions .

Happy growing.

3. Tommy

Tommy Well-Known Member

Sorry Rhona, I got you name wrong in my reply .

4. Craig

Craig Member

The zip lock bag and damp vermiculite method works a charm. A friend who is fairly new to cycads used this method and left the seeds on top of a cupboard that got fairly warm and got very good germination rates.

Something I've seen more recently is getting some thick felt and laying the seeds on this in a box or tray or something. Keeping the felt damp, ensures moisture is able to get to the seeds. If the underside of the seed looks a little damp, that should be more than enough for it.

Temperature requirements can vary. I've used between 24 and 28, but I think some species want different temps and I'm not sure mine are optimal.

5. Rhona Brooks

Rhona Brooks New Member

6. Rhona Brooks

Rhona Brooks New Member

Thanks Tommy that is what i do thought there were an easier way cause it take some time for seeds to start germinating

7. Rhona Brooks

Rhona Brooks New Member

Never mind the spelling of my name