1. To get involved, you'll need to Sign Up first, but that's quick, easy and free.
    Dismiss Notice

Value/future of green plants

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Warren, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Warren

Warren Well-Known Member

I have been wondering/pondering about this for a while now. Green plants (talking about the cheap ones) are abundant and it is really not difficult to find some nice big plants at R10/cm R15/cm even less sometimes. Just driving through Montana /Moot /Pretoria North you can see many 1m -1,5m plants in old established gardens.

This is killing the seedling market for these plants , as the seedlings don't sell. People are not pollinating the green plants anymore as they sit with the seedlings forever. I know a old toppie that sits with 400 odd Natalensis 5cm plants he is frustrated as he can not sell them as there is basically no buyers.

Does anyone else have this issue or a solution as flooding the market @ R20(just a low ball value for arguments sake) a plant is basically what he will have to resolve to and even with that I am not sure he will be successful in selling 400.

2. Craig

Craig Member

Some of these plants are freely available and grow well, which is a good thing, but it means they aren't worth that much. Simple supply and demand.

I think this has always been the case to some extent.

Tell him to try find a nursery that's interested in cycads or cheap cycads. The problem is having to deal with the permits and that's too much admin for some of these places.

These make great garden plants for people that just like the look of them or who are just getting into cycads.

3. Morne Carstens

Morne Carstens Active Member

I wonder if it is not time that the Cycad society or other interest groups approach Nature conservation to re-look at the conservation status etc of things like natelensis ferox etc. My thoughts go in the direction that if they can lift permit requirements or something like that many of the now so called low value greens can be use in landscaping etc and open up a whole new niche....

4. Warren

Warren Well-Known Member

That makes a lot of sense as that will allow free trade in them, thus making them available via corner nurseries and by doing that people don't have to plunder the wild populations.

5. Craig

Craig Member

This makes a whole lot of sense.

6. Craig

Craig Member

To bring this topic back up. Do I take the time and effort to bag the altensteinii and villosus seedlings that are growing around the parent plants, or not.

7. Piet de Bruyn

Piet de Bruyn Member

The Cycad society will take part in the new discussions on cycads with other roleplyers. The idea is to try and get a new system that can work in stead of the current permit system that furstrates everyone.

Craig likes this.