1. To get involved, you'll need to Sign Up first, but that's quick, easy and free.
    Dismiss Notice

You have to read it to believe it....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deon, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Deon

Deon Well-Known Member

@admin – I hope this will not be deleted as I want to use my story as an example for others

Hi all ,

I just want to share a very bad experience that I recently had with one of our so called well reputational cycad lovers.

For argument sake let’s call this person , Gerhard.

Gerhard are well known in the cycad world and trusted by many for help and his expertise in this field , someone that I looked up to and admire. So doubting his credibility did not even cross my mind.

My friend and I bought seed from Gerhard – biggest mistake!

Seed arrived by Gerhard himself , so now your idle in the field are at your house himself. So now it’s like what seeds??

After an ice cold klippies and nice chat he left.

All my seeds gets the same treatment and germination rate are in the upper 90’s so I see myself not as a “nubi” anymore.

After about a month it was time to start germinating the dyers. I start of with soaking for 2 days but before I even came to that I opened that bag to put in my muti I notice that 90% of the seed rattle.

Imagine the shock you just spend 21k on seeds……… at that stage I opened my friends seeds and notice the same , the second shock wave hit me while thinking I vouched for Gerhards credibility.

All of us know if you buy seeds there’s a change 10% of them will not germinate and you make peace with that but not 95%! That’s unacceptable to anyone’s standard.

I then started cutting open some seeds and notice they are not even fertile , at that point in my head words were said that not even existed.

Photos were taken and send to Gerhard , after calming down I opened the other seeds only to find the same story. Worst part they did not even belong to me.

Up to now I did not even got a reply back from Gerhard , he ignores my phone calls as well indication his guilt selling knowingly none fertile seeds to me.

Long story short I said to my friend I will take the knock of 21k as there were questions posed when Gerhards name were mentioned and me the poepol assured him that Gerhard is the man.

Moral of the story , people are not always what they seem out to be. Its such a shame that money can turn people into monsters.

Gerhard you have left a bad taste for cycads in my mouth and doubting every seller out theirs credibility ,I’m discussed in the manner you handled ( or let me say not handled ) the situation.

Gerhard that’s no way making an good impression on new customers.

Gerhard money should not be first in this hobby I firmly believe the love for these species must come first and you clearly showed what comes first for you.

Gerhard you said if I remember correctly you were buying E-Heenanii with my money , you should have the plant by now and I wish you happy growing and happy b-day gift.

Gerhard you are Ctrl Deleted as my idle.

Don’t make the same mistake I made , its pricy!

Cycadophile likes this.
  2. Nico Koegelenberg

Nico Koegelenberg Well-Known Member

Hi Deon,

That is just sad to hear to say the least !

Never the less there are some real good cycad lovers out there. But unfortunately money talks and b..sh.. walks

I firmly believe that what you sow you WILL reap !

But freakin 21k is a crap load of money !

3. Aj_85

Aj_85 Member

why hide his name....expose him so we all who who is the snake in the grass..... i was taken like that a few years ago with latifrons seeds thay were just natalensis.... lucky the guy has left the country.....

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Cycadophile likes this.
  4. Adri Smuts

Adri Smuts Member

I agree with Aj_85 expose him so we all know who not to trust.

5. Johan Pieterse

Johan Pieterse Member

Absolute shocker! Sies "Gerhard"!!

6. Craig

Craig Member

Has this now been resolved Deon?

7. Deon

Deon Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm not really very happy with the out come but yes the matter is resolved from his side...
    Can you please delete the hole thread as i do not want this forum to be spoiled because one person..............................

8. Robbie

Robbie New Member

Hi guys, my pennies worth about buying unsprouted seed. Many years ago i personally paid a lot of school fees purchasing unsprouted seed, after having these issues i promised myself never to buy unsprouted seeds again, when seeds are fresh most will sink in the water test, if you cut them the embrio is very very small if you notice it at all, so even if the person that is selling the seed pollinated the cone himself there are no guarantee that the seed is good although he might think so, my best answer is to never buy unsprouted seed and for the sellers never to sell unsprouted seed as your name is surely to go down the drain. 21k divided by say 300 seeds = R70 per seed, a lot of money for Dyer unsprouted seeds.